Tuesday, January 23, 2007

You asked why?

I was reading Wade Burleson's blog tonight when one anonymous post asked the following question: Why would any thinking woman remain a Southern Baptist? I was going to answer on that blog but decided to post it here instead. So here goes...

"Why would any thinking woman remain a Southern Baptist?"

I cannot speak for all thinking women but I have a few reasons that I remain in the SBC.

1) Familiarity-I was a Southern Baptist before I was a believer. I accepted the teachings of my parents for a while but then I studied to show myself approved. I believe that the SBC holds tightly to the teachings of Scripture. Have I investigated other denominational beliefs? Yes, and I keep coming back to the SBC.

2) Spiritual Growth-I have been deeply influenced by many people within the SBC. Some names you would recognize, like Beth Moore, Adrian Rogers and Lottie Moon. Others would be unknown to most but me-friends in Baptist Nursing Fellowship, several IMB missionaries, my mother and father, my step-mother, my grandmother, my GA leader. Each contact whether through bible studies, books, sermons or service has grown me spiritually.

3) Missions-We do missions well. We fund missions well. Because of the Cooperative Program and the Lottie Moon and Annie Armstrong offerings, our missionaries don't have to leave the field to raise support. They can count on regular support and focus on the work before them. We get to be "deacons" in a way...taking care of the business that needs to be done (feeding the widows) so the missionaries (apostles) can devote themselves to the gospel. My father & step-mother as well as myself have been privileged to serve short term with the IMB. I hope to be able to serve more long term in the future.

4) Doctrine-I am a theological conservative. I believe the Bible is inerrant, that Jesus was virgin born, that sin is sin no matter how much Hollywood glorifies it. Do I line up with the SBC on every issue? No. The Baptist Faith and Message is a treatise on what Southern Baptists believe. It covers the essentials of our beliefs and frankly I can agree with it on all points. Do I disagree with some people in positions of leadership? Yes, but over all we agree on far more than we disagree. And as absolute conformity of belief is an impossibility I can align myself here without qualm.

These are a few of my reasons. If you are a thinking woman and you choose to stay in the SBC what are your reasons?

In Christ,
Jaylee

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Came over to your blog from Wade's--I read his often and many, many times have been tempted to comment, but something (possibly the Holy Spirit, I'm sure) has always prevented me from doing so.

Anyway, I know you have no idea who I am, but as I read through your blog I discovered we have some common interests--mainly missions and nursing. Noticed you mentioned the Baptist Nursing Fellowship. Can you tell me a little about this organization? Also, have you gone on mission trips or done diaster relief with them? I've been on mission trips and done diaster relief as a Southern Baptist, but not specifically to use my nursing skills.

Also, I can identify with most of your writings on your blog--felt like I was reading about myself in a few of them!

Blessings, MMN

JayLee said...

For anyone who may be interested you can get more info on Baptist Nursing Fellowship (BNF) at www.wmu.com/bnf