Thursday, June 21, 2007

Can you hear the lightning bugs?

In Beth Moore's "To Live Is Christ" she suggested that when we face storms there are several things we need to do. One of which was listen for God.

One night as I was driving home from church, I was facing a storm. It was a storm I had steered my own ship into. There I sat in my car, in tears yet again because I was feeling quite sorry for myself. I lamented that I had no one to share this current crisis with-especially since it stemmed from being single and feeling isolated.

As I directed my car towards my empty apartment (sigh) I was surprised by a lightning bug. I love lightning bugs. They signal the arrival of summer. I had been looking out for one for a while but had only seen a few faint flashes in the distance that I couldn't say were really lightning bugs. And here was one in front of me.

And God spoke to me. You see, He knows I love lightning bugs. As a Father who delights to give good gifts to His children, He used this simple creature to remind me of His love. In that instance I was wrapped in His presence and knew I was not alone, no matter how lonely I might feel. All the way home I was surrounded by the soft yellow green glow as hundreds of lightning bugs line the road. What started as a simple melody became a symphony.

In scripture we are reminded that God speaks. His children hear & understand His voice. So, go ahead, listen for a lightning bug.

No comments: